WHAT IS A DEACON?
A Deacon is a servant leader of the church. We read in Acts chapter 6 that they were first appointed in the rapidly growing church in Jerusalem to meet the physical needs of the people by distributing food so that the Elders could devote themselves to prayer and ministry of the word. This has carried through to the modern church. The Deacon's role is to be responsible for meeting the physical needs of the church. This includes not just the church facilities and grounds, but the physical needs of its people.
Our Lord said, "Whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve." Matthew 20:26-28
The Lord Jesus himself, then, is the model for those who would step into the Deacon's role. It is a role of service, of sacrifice, and of commitment to the needs of others.
Here at Princetown EPC, the ministry of the Deacons includes (but is not limited to):
- Caring for and maintaining the church facilities and grounds
- Meeting needs that arise in the church family and our community
- Administering the Deacon's Fund of the church to help those in financial need
- Collecting, counting and recording the offerings of the church
- Serving in other ministries or committees in which the Deacon has been gifted by God
- Supporting and encouraging the ministry of the Pastor and Elders of the church
"For those who serve well as Deacons gain a good standing for themselves and also great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus." 1 Timothy 3:13
Deacons at Princetown Church serve active terms of 3 years on the Deacon board. The current Deacons are: