WHAT IS AN ELDER?
The governing body of Princetown Evangelical Presbyterian church is called "The Session", which is comprised of a group of church members called by God to serve as either "Ruling Elders" (Overseers) or "Teaching Elders" (the Pastors). Their calling is to oversee the spiritual life of the church. They have the ultimate responsibility and authority to see that our church remains on a true biblical course. Elders are to insure that our members are being appropriately shepherded, that the body is being fed with accurate biblical teaching, and that the life of the church is well managed. Elders are accountable toGod, to each other, and to the church to live as prayer warriors, role models, and humble servants.
1 Peter 5:2-4 "Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers - not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away."
CURRENT PRINCETOWN EPC ELDERS
The Elders at Princetown Church are ordained for LIFE but serve as 'active' members of the Princetown EPC session for 3 year terms. The current active Elders are:
If you would like prayer...If you have a need...If you would like to ask a question...If you would like to express a concern...If you would like to encourage your Elders! Please send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that 'anonymous' e-mails or calls cannot be accepted. All communications are kept confidential within the group of Elders. We can only respond to communications made by the person that the e-mail is concerning (i.e. no 'third party' e-mails or gossip will be accepted.)
Specific duties of the Elders at Princetown Church include (but are not limited to):
SHEPHERDING THE FLOCK:
- Praying for church members on a regular basis.
- Praying for and ministering to the sick and hurting. Raising up and supporting the church leaders from the congregation to assist in this task.
"Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him." James 5:14a
SPIRITUAL OVERSIGHT AND DISCIPLING OF THE CHURCH:
- Overseeing the sacraments of Baptism and Communion as instituted by Christ
- Reviewing the teachings of the church for biblical accuracy
- Participating as needed in the biblical process of conflict resolution
- Interviewing potential new members
- Confronting false teaching and behaviors in the church that are contradictory to biblical truth
- When necessary, implementing appropriate church discipline
- Encouraging church members to grow in their faith and service in the church and community
"Each one of you should use whatever gift he has received to serve other, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:10
MANAGING THE CHURCH:
- Overseeing all classes, committees, and ministries of the church
- Developing the church financial plan and overseeing that the church has appropriate accountability and transparency in its financial life
- Representing Princetown as a part of the greater EPC and worldwide church