In the last post, we discussed why we should share our faith - Found People Find People
Since we know why, the tough part them becomes HOW? How do we actually invite our friends to Jesus? Do we just start talking about it? Give them a paper flier about Jesus? Force them to talk about? What happens if they say no? How do I do this?
Here is the method we use at RockLife for reaching out to our friends with the good news of Jesus - Pi2
Pray => Invest => Invite
In this post we will look at Prayer and what that means
Pray for that Person
- Get the Prayer Card and Pray for them everyday
- We offer a prayer card to help you remember that you should pray for them
- Even if you take 20 seconds, when you see the card, pray for them
- You might say, I don't know what to say, that is ok, Just be honest with God... Talk to Him like a normal person. Just ask Him for the things below and believe God can do it!
- Pray for an opportunity to invest in their lives
- You are seeking to be one of the answers to your prayer
- You are praying that a situation would come up that you can start to spend time with them and show them that you care for them
- Pray God would soften their hearts
- We can't save people, God does, we are just told to share
- They might not want to hear about Jesus, but ask that God would soften their hearts so that they would be willing (this might take a long time, so hang in there)
- Pray God would use you to share with them
- Again, you are seeking to be part of the answer that God brings
- Pray for opportunity to share, that the right time would present itself (not in the middle of class at school)
- Pray with a group of trusted friends about reaching out to this person
- God loves it when a group of people turn to him together
- On Wednesday Nights, just before RockLife starts, students meet to pray for the night and their friends. It is a great opportunity!
- Pray for them in your Life groups
God wants us to pray for those who have not trusted him. Paul (the writer of the book of Romans) shows this when he prays for those lost in his home nation of Israel
Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. Romans 10:1
In another book of the Bible that he wrote, Paul shares a prayer for people who don't know God
To open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me. Acts 26:18
Prayer shows us that we need God! God uses prayer so we can see how He has worked and continues to work in our lives. Prayer is an act of trust, so will you turn to God and trust Him with your friends life?
God wants to involve you in this process so you can experience part of the joy of seeing a person go from a destiny of death to a destiny of life. I can't think of a greater thing than being a part of saving lives.
Start by praying for them, then continue by investing in their lives - Next Post - Invest
For more resources about prayer, click here
For questions or comments, email Pastor Ian