In the last few posts, we discussed why we should share our faith - Found People Find People, the beginning part of how we should share our faith - Pray, and the next step in sharing our faith - Invest
In this post we will continue with the HOW. How do we actually invite our friends to Jesus? Do we just start talking about it? Give them a paper flier about Jesus? Force them to talk about? What happens if they say no? How do I do this?
Here is the method we use at RockLife for reaching out to our friends with the good news of Jesus - Pi2
Pray => Invest => Invite
In this post we will finish the Pi2 method and look at Invite
Invite them where you are at
- You might not know what to say, but you can start by inviting them to something
- RockLife, Events, Church... These are great starting steps
- Maybe they won't do that, but you could invite them to hang with you and some other Christians...
- Ask them what they think of Jesus
- This gives them the option to share
- It gives you an idea about where they are coming from
- Share your story with them - about what Jesus has done in your life
- You have a story about how you met Jesus, use it
- Don't be afraid about what they might think of you, just lovingly, graciously, and humbly share that story with them
- Ask your life group leader for help in explaining who Jesus is
- You don't have to know all the answers or even the questions to ask
- Life group leaders can help you start down the path of conversations about Jesus
- If they are willing, invite them to read a portion of the Bible with you, or take a starting point class with them
- Let them ask critical questions
- It is ok to say I don't know - It is better to be honest than to lie to them
- You can ask your life group leader for answers if you don't know them
- Be prepared for setbacks and long term relationships
- You probably won't have all the answers for them, but conversations take time
- Don't think you have to rush, give them time to think about things
- They will disagree with you at points, that is part of it, don't get discouraged, just keep loving them and let God work in their hearts
- Know it's not your job to save them - You just invite them along the way
If you don't actually invite them to think about Jesus or share with them the Gospel, you are not fulfilling Jesus' command. Pi2 is incomplete without you opening your mouth. This doesn't mean you have to force this, but it does mean you are looking for opportunities to have conversations about inviting them to Jesus.
Ultimately, the goal is for you to be able to LEAD OTHERS TO CHRIST on your own. Acts 1:8 shares what Jesus wanted his followers to do:
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.
God wants to give you the blessing of being the instrument He uses to bring a person to Himself. You get the privilege of impacting a persons destiny. I can't think of a greater gift than that.
You might ask, what is the Gospel? Is there a simple way to share the good news about Jesus? The next post will talk about a simple way to present and share the gospel with them - Gospel
For questions or comments, email Pastor Ian